Saturday, February 14, 2015

Homage in Plainview

It was a privilege and a treat to be invited to rummage through
the childhood home, of my friend Lou.


One of the first things that I look for, is
the work station.
The breed of people who make,
fix and sew things are becoming extinct.
Here, was every sized screw, bolt,
and tool needed to keep the house running.

And old coffee cans, filled with parts.
(Raise your hand if you remember Hills Bros coffee.)

Rubber bands... string... jars, nails...


This was a family that took pride in keeping things in order...

Travels labeled by year and destination.
(Iran and Israel in 1977. Hong Kong in 1976.)














1970's kitchen bulletin board, intact.
(Mostly pinned with humor... necessary
for any family being raised in the 70's.)



Here is the precursor to the digital reminder.
(Invented by Lou for his Mom.)



Also in the kitchen: Antique spices!
I love seeing the graphics of old tins and bottles
from back then.


In the dining room, I was able to feed my teak habit
with this selection of servingware.
(the covered teak bowl is hand-carved.)
 Plus:
Danish salt and Pepper shakers from Gimbels: $4.99


And I have my eye on this gorgeous couch...
 


 There were notes, carefully written with detail
about the history of family heirlooms. 
(Scolding MY parents for not thinking of this...)

Each note had a story.


This was built into a nook in the hallway.
It's hard to describe.
(Lou???!!!!)

The perfect pink bathroom.

Boy box of secret things...


Old school game graphics...





Hubs had these model cars too.


I had one of these tin banks, and I can remember
exactly what it felt like, and sounded like,
filled with pennies.

 Lou's Dad worked on the World Trade Center,
and was there when it was born.

There were beautifully designed electronics:




And bottle collections...




A Fire Island Ferry schedule...



Crayola Sixteen Pack from the 1960's.

By some bizarre coincidence, Lou's family had the same everyday silverware that I had growing up. I promised I would take good
care of it... filling in the pieces from my own handed-down set.

 Thank you Lou, for sharing your home and your history...
I hope that by me capturing these small pieces of it,
it will be preserved in some way.
...........................................................

Here are some previous posts of Faboo House Tours and Estate Sales:

Magpie's house on Reid in PW:



3 comments:

Elena said...

Swoon! That transistor radio is dreamy. It felt oddly disassociated to look at those icons. They look SO OLD, but are of OUR generation! Thank you Heidi (and Lou!) xoxo

Magpie said...

awesome. the spices KILL me. i remember those boxes...

Cat said...

epic house!