Friday, December 18, 2009

NYT Help Wanted, 1989

The frigid weather & threat of a weekend snowstorm
has me looking inward once again. Last winter, some of
were the most commented on, of all my posts.
This time, I'll start gently, with a help wanted ad,
saved from the New York Times.
How would my life be different today,
had I gotten this chic job?!
Where is the person who labored
over these tightly writ sentences?
Are they still creative directing somewhere?
Or have they been one of many lay-offs in the past 5 years?
Maybe they quietly slipped away to an upstate farm?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the reference to "rare bird"...I wonder how many people think THEY are a rare bird. As part of the "me" generation, I bet it is a lot of us!!

Magpie said...

That's friggin' poetry. I love that ad.

pve design said...

dream in type, now that would be the perfect job for you...
pve

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

love this, but the best part for me is the bottom - "handwritten note". Now that's classy :)

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

That is among the most classic classified text I've ever read! Sounds like an episode of The Office. :-)

julie king said...

i love everything about this ad, but especially the fact that they requested a handwritten note. the idea of creating the note really sparks my creativity. thanks for sharing!

visiting you for the first time from willow's blog!